Even though it’s always nice to feel lucky, there’s a lot more to it than just pure chance. Marketing is about knowing your customers better than they know themselves. Being able to continually identify their needs before they even realize there’s something missing from their lives.
As a marketer, you must constantly scan the environment for new opportunities. Things are always changing. Just because something’s going well, doesn’t mean it’s perfect – there’s always room for improvement in this never-ending process!
Here’s 5 ways to improve your luck
- Earned Media. This is marketing gold. One of the biggest returns on investment from marketing is when people start talking about your company or brand. Consumers might be skeptical of a company promoting their own products or services since their bottom line is often sales. That is why this organic word of mouth marketing is so valued – it is customers talking about you just because they want to. Adding relevant content + SEO + social media are great ways to start generating earned media!
- Tell a Story and Make a Connection. (see previous blog post Connection) Be memorable. In order to stand out from all the clutter, one must be different. Don’t necessarily just do what the other guy is doing. Make sure what you’re doing is significant and meaningful to your brand image. It’s not just about what works best, but what works best for you. You’re building a relationship with your consumers – the lifeblood of any company!
- Consistency. They say content is king, but consistency can be too! We don’t like to waste any time, and often judge based solely on appearances. When a consumer sees your product or service, they should be able to immediately recognize that it’s your brand. Colors, fonts, tone, slogan, logo, brand persona, etc. should all work together to create a unified image that is easily identifiable.
- Mission Statement. Know what you want to accomplish at the end of the day, and be able to summarize it in a simple sentence. Now see if you’re doing that! This is what your company or brand is all about, and everything you do should relate back to that statement. It is very difficult to develop an effective strategy without a foundation to build on. This helps drive you toward your goals, and stay focused on the things that are most important and consistent with your vision.
- Be Prepared. Marketing is an ever-changing field, and it is essential to be able to adapt quickly and efficiently. Be willing to go where your customers are, and keep your mind open to learning new techniques and best practices. What works today won’t necessarily work forever. We are currently in the age of digital, but that can (and probably will) change once again – be ready for the next shift!
Wishing you the best of luck!